Carbon Neutral

An award-winning eco home in Camden

Smart, low-carbon homes were once the preserve of one-off grand designs, but as buyers and tenants have become more environmentally conscious, so too has the demand for energy efficient houses.

Now, an award-winning family home in Camden has become the first ‘net zero’ property up for rent. On the market with Dexters, the four bedroom mews house was created and lived in by Max Fordham, an acclaimed engineer and pioneer of sustainable building design.

This ‘net zero’ certification means that the property uses as much energy as it consumes every year. To achieve this benchmark, Ford collaborated with architects Price & Myers to minimise carbon emissions as much as possible during construction. This involved using low-carbon cement and timber for the exterior and roof as well as wood fibre insulation, cork flooring and triple glazed windows inside.

Elsewhere, fossil fuels were eschewed in favour of 100% renewable electricity. Rooftop solar panels meet about 25% of the home’s energy demand, while the other 75% is met by renewable electricity supplier, Good Energy. The result is that net carbon emissions for the building are zero, and no offsetting is required.



The house has a functional and minimalist aesthetic. As you enter the property you’re greeted by a large kitchen and dining room with floor-to-ceiling windows, white walls and a U-shaped kitchen with integrated cabinets. At one end of the room, there’s a ten person dining table and living area, whilst at the other end, a wall of intergrated cabinets provides ample storage space.

Upstairs, there are four bedrooms spread over the first and second levels, each of which has its own private terrace. On the top floor, two of the bedrooms also feature beamed ceilings that mirror the wooden panelling on the outside of the building.

Aydan Dervish, Manager of Dexters Kentish Town and Camden, says ‘this building is a unique and exciting development that pushes the boundaries of building performance. Not only will it save future tenants a huge amount on bills, it’s also a joy to live in thanks to its open plan design. You really get the best of both worlds here. Located in a peaceful mews street, the house is just roads away from the busy Camden Market with hundreds of food, music and clothes shops.'